Sunday, August 17, 2008

BMX Track Trip

Bubby has become such a huge fan of riding his bike. He wakes up wanting to jump on and go. So, Hubby made him a nice dirt track near our house (like a small BMX track). He has been having such a blast. They also made a little ramp for him to jump.

Sissy is a pretty cautious one, so it took a while before she even wanted to try it out. But she loved it too. Then hubby decided he had to go by himself a BMX bike. I rode around it a few times. It is quite fun.

So yesterday we decide to pack up the bikes and head to the BMX track at Oak Mountain. They were having a blast. And me and Baby had fun watching. But I really wanted to ride. So when Hubby needed a little break I decided to jump on. Well, silly me didn't think about the fact that maybe I should take it easy my first time around the track, especially since I haven't ridden anything like that in 15 or 20 years...but, I was going to impress my man! Unfortunately, about halfway through the first lap I got some air and then hit the next hill wrong and down I went...very nice scrape on my arms and legs...AND he wasn't even watching! What a waste! He quickly asked if I was okay and then was worried about his new bike. He gave me a hard time because I got his new bike dirty and scraped the handle bar grip. I asked if I could ride once more and take it slow...but he didn't think that would be a good idea. He wouldn't want me to hurt his bike anymore.

Well, they all take a few more trips around when Hubby decides to go all out. He absolutely flew in the air and came crashing down on his head and shoulder. It really scared me. I knew as soon as he sat up that he was hurt. So, I quickly pack the kids and the bikes into the car and drive around to pick him up...off to the ER we go. Three broken ribs and a badly hurt shoulder - and after the pain meds start to kick in - I tell him he put more damage on the bike than I did - and he said, "Yeah, maybe I should of let you have that slow ride around the track after all."

But, I have to admit up until that point, it was one of our favorite family outings. And I hope that we will do it again!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So funny.

Andrea said...

Oh my goodness!! Poor hubby...how's he doing now?

And you actually want to go back???

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!!! I hope he feels better soon! It sounded like fun...until the crash. Ouch!

Reformed Grits said...

I LOVE IT! HAHA~! I crashed a bike not too long ago, proving that you really CAN forget how to ride a bike. I honestly forgot about the mechanics of steering on a hill, and that there were... brakes.
Don't ask.